Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Zuckersuess!
I found Bergl, Austrian based Josef Zotter's Organic Fair-Trade Rose and Basil bar in the Food Emporium beneath the 59th Street Bridge. The market's vaulted ceiling, international selection and spacious ambiance makes shopping for groceries a rather grand experience. Aside from the striking wrapper designed by Berlin based artist andreas h. gratze, I was immediately drawn to the bar's unusual menagerie of ingredients from rose water and basil oil to almonds, apple brandy, rasberry, strawberry, lemon, cherry juice and chili. What a combination. A decadent taste experience, the rose is the most dominent flavor while the basil hits you as a delicate aftertaste. I expected milk chocolate, that's what the wrapper says, but I'd say it tastes more like dark.

4 comments:

K and S said...

sounds delicious!

Darlene said...

wow - that sounds really different. I'd like to know who comes up with these taste combinations. I mean - who would think that all these tastes would blend well together, especially with chocolate? Very interesting indeed.

The Chocolate Nerd said...

You gotta check out this guy gratzie's art. I'd love to fly to Berlin to see his work in person. Can you see that the Basil and Rose are personified as a stylish couple? I love his style!

Anonymous said...

I know zotter chocolates (I am from Austria), they're so good!! I am a big fan of your blog, your an incredible person!!!

thought that might interest you, too: http://www.dh-stores.com/main.aspx?mid=6